RECOMMENDED Tank Installation & Tank Base – Pad Preparation
Which POLY Tank suits your best application & needs ?
To establish the Tank which suits your needs best, please use the following as a suggestion & guide:
- Measure from under the gutter to the ground for the inlet height of the tank.
- Measure the diameter of the ground area to be sure space is available before ordering.
- Place a peg in the ground with a string attached in the centre of this planned area.
- Make a circle marking the area and measure across it for the diameter of the tank.
- Please phone 1300 512 004 to order your tank or ask our staff for more information.
- Refer to our models & designs of & for tank sizes to find the most suitable size.
- Purchase the largest tank size that will suit your requirements.
- Is the Tank for Whole of House feed for water supply or just basic domestic external use ?
- Keep in mind the volume of water is the reason you are buying a water tank.
- You can never harvest to much FREE Rain Water.
- Please keep in mind that rainfall in general is never consistent in any given region right across the Nation.
- The site for your tank needs to be at least 150mm and up to 600 mm greater than the diameter of your tank.
- The surface will need to be compacted and sharp stones to a depth of 75mm must be removed to avoid damage to your tank.
- Flexible coupling must be fitted to each outlet – Place a length of flexible hose no shorter than 300mm on the outlet from your tank to prevent shock and movement pressure on the outlet fitting to absorb any shocks and or movement. Your guarantee may be void if flexible coupling is not fitted ( Hi Density Poly – PVC or Steel-Gal pipe is not flexible).
- Overflow fittings need to be either plumbed into stormwater drain or plumbed away from the base of the Tank and site to avoid site erosion / undermining that can cause Tank wall collapse.
- MODULAR TANK SYSTEMS & SLIMLINE – SLENDER Tanks must be installed on a reinforced concrete slab.
- A reinforced concrete slab is the ideal tank pad and must be greater than the diameter of the tank.
- ONLY FOR ROUND TANKS – a 75mm base of compacted crusher dust may also be used
- The location of your tank will need to be level and stable and void of areas of instability such as embankments or retaining walls, as such areas need to be professionally verified as capable of supporting the weight of a full water tank.
- The Tank site must be flat and level, the area well compacted and free from any rocks, stones and sharp objects.
- The slab must be at least 150 mm wider than the diameter of the tank and approximately 150mm thick.
- Next step – apply 2 layers of F82 mesh 75mm apart and a rat wall with thickening of 200mm wide and 200mm deep with Y16 Reo Bar at the bottom of the proposed base & thickening around the edge of the slab.
- Concrete mix 20 MPA is fine BUT 32 MPA is recommended for bigger Tanks if Budget allows. If in doubt of the stability of soil you need to consult an engineer.
- FOR SAFETY ONLY & BEST PRACTICE DUE TO NARROW FOOTPRINT and often a TALL TOWER – MODULAR & SLIMLINE – SLENDER Tanks must be installed on a reinforced concrete slab.
Crusher / Metal Dust – River Sand can be used but it is prone to erosion.
- Spread a layer approximately 50 to 75mm thick and up to 300mm wider than the base diameter of the tank evenly over the ground.
- Once compacted and level the Tank can be put in place.
- You might like to add CEMENT DUST to stabilise the Crusher Dust material which then hardens like concrete.
- You will need to retain the fill by placing a wall such as concrete sleepers, rocks or filled bricks around the perimeter.
- Ensure that the fill can’t be washed away by run off by diverting the overflow away from the site.
- If a material other than concrete is used, a retaining wall or surround must be provided to prevent erosion.
- The tank site must be flat and level, the area well compacted and free from any rocks, stones and sharp objects.
- Most folks purchase a basic little Pump to offer Head Pressure for delivery of water. Pumps are on offer form $150-$1500. Please discuss you Water delivery needs with our Staff who can advise best practice and bang-for-buck.
- Use of a METAL Tank stand is not recommended for Tank sizes over 2500lt due to the weight of the tank when full of water being 2.5 Tonne. If wishing to purchasing a Tank Stand we offer ( see main Tank Brochure )
- Make sure the tank stand is designed and built to carry the full weight and if support slats ( Hardwood Timber Decking Slats ) are used. They are to be no further than 15mm apart as the base of the Tank could sag.
Tank Security once delivered to site
It is your ( the customers ) responsibility to ensure that your Tank is secure upon delivery, this can be achieved by moving the Tank straight to the base or pad ( if prepared ) by either filling the Tank with water to at least 50 mm deep of water upon delivery .. or by using a suitable hold down / tie down method if the Tank has built in lifting lugs.